Christmas Bells

Christmas Bells
Christmas Bells - Blandfordia nobilis

Saturday, July 22, 2006

The Nature of weather closing in

WEATHER COMING UP THE VALLEY

Last Thursday afternoon (and I'm writing on Saturday evening) I looked out the windows to the south and this is what I could see.

This is weather "closing in" on Robertson.




PEARSON'S LANE HAS DISAPPEARED

The sky was relatively bright (the sun being behind us, not yet masked by this wall of cloud).

The rain was sweeping up the hill, from the south, out of Kangaroo Valley.

The light was definitely unusual.

The fluffy grey clouds were masking the tops of the ridge opposite me (where Pearson's Lane runs). Giving it a flat topped appearance.




"END OF THE WORLD"
ROBERTSON'S CEMETERY HILL
And looking down the valley, the world appears to stop beyond the cemetery (yes, I'm resisting those bad "dead end" jokes).

The tall trees on the "far hill" are at the cemetery - a mere 1 Km away.

They are clearly visible in my other distance shots, but with the wall of cloud beyond the hill, it suddenly stands out as the "end of the earth".


*****
I just love the way clouds change one's perspective on the view, from day to day, or even from hour to hour. That's why I keep posting new inages of the same view - because it is never the same.

******
As it turned out, this cloud hung over us for 48 hours, and dropped a reasonable amount of gentle soft rain on us. We got 24 mm of rain out of this. It was during this episode of soft rain that I photographed those Black Cockies - the ones eating Pine seeds in the rain.

*****
Today it cleared off, and Celeste, Ian, Jane and I planted a whole bunch of plants at the CTC. Jane donated the plants which she had raised herself, which is a great achievement (spoken as a some-time plant propagator).

There is nothing better than planting plants at the end of winter, after a week of rain (we also had 38 mm earlier in the week). These plants, (and some which I will plant tomorrow, of my own collection of seedlings) will positively jump out of the ground over the next 2 months, as the weather warms up.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"I just love the way clouds change one's perspective on the view, from day to day, or even from hour to hour. " Now isn't that a metaphor for life.

Denis Wilson said...

It keeps me young, checking out how the light changes the view. Sometimes fogs in the valley show up where the valleys stop (i.e., the location of local waterfalls). Then a "spotlight" of sun, poking through a cloud, will feature a particular hill or other.

I love it.

As a metaphor for life, it is like meeting a new friend in a crowd of people - someone interesting who you had not noticed before.