Christmas Bells

Christmas Bells
Christmas Bells - Blandfordia nobilis

Friday, December 21, 2007

Summer Solstice - blue sky and clouds

After approximately 3 weeks of cloud, mist, fog, drizzle,
more mist and fog and threatening clouds ----- ------ Robertson has suddenly turned on a warm, mostly sunny day.
And the locals are ducking for cover.

Personally, if this is summer, I'm over it already.

The air is so humid (as the moisture in the soil evaporates out). Even just moving around outside causes one to break out in a sweat.
To the northern hemisphericals who might read this blog, on your cold, longest Midwinter night, I salute you all, with a warming glass of red.


Cheers!!!

To Leo, you have turned the corner. Your Peonies will start their long journey back towards Spring, in about two weeks time.

By the way, last night, I turned off the little room heater which has been on (gently) over the last 3 weeks, not so much to warm the room, but to keep the clothes and furnishings in the house from growing mould. And also to dry off Lena, whose feet, legs and the hair on her belly seemed to be perpetually wet, over the last few weeks.

4 comments:

Gaye said...

hi Denis,

I'm with you on this horrid humidity - I'm not used to it and I am also not handling it well. It's still warm enough for a swim in the Hunter Valley (some days), but the heat is usually dry, not oppressive like it has been for about 6 weeks.

We are planning an outdoors day for Christmas day, so I am hoping for a dry but slightly overcast day - the weatherman, however, is predicting rain.

Cheers
Gaye

Anonymous said...

Here in the frozen North the December Solstice is a great event; soon I will be getting enough natural Vitamin D to keep an even temper (and about time too, thinks the dog) and a positive outlook. Probably not so much the quantity of daylight as the fact that it will be ever-increasing. Anyways, it is a BIG EVENT even at 45deg N latitude, even more so in the Arctic areas where the "land of the midnight sun" is currently the "land of the midday midnight". Of course temperatures will continue to cool off for another 6 to 8 weeks, but that just means the snow won't get rained on as much so the X-country skiing will be more enjoyable without having to play at icebreaker.
-Leo

Denis Wilson said...

Hi Leo

Perhaps your low-level sunshine will be compensated by your increased exposure, as you go cross-country skiing.
I looked in vain for clues that my red-wine suggestion produced a burst of vitamin D for you, but instead found that milk is "dosed" to increase levels of Vitamin D. You probably didn't want to hear that.

Anyway, I always find the thought that you have turned the corner is enough of a boost to cheer one up.

You can always console yourself by thinking of me, or more-so Gaye, wilting in the sticky heat.

Cheers. Happy Solstice and Happy Christmas in a few days time.

Denis

Anonymous said...

Hi Denis,
Hmm, is having turned the corner the same as having gone around the bend?? Yes, that too fits me... (especially during bike season)

I didn't know milk was dozed for VitD. Actually, I have avoided milk since I was teen bike racer and my coach steered us away from it because of the lactic acid content. But current sports dietary practice says that was wrong, so all those years of porridge with water instead of milk were a very bland waste (or waist). Meanwhile I haven't managed to correct my mindset yet. Habits, once learned, are hard to set aside (ask any nun).

Today the ski tracks are melting (or rather getting ready to set in ice-- bad gnus for the skiers) and tomorrow rain is to add to the winter woes, with no fresh snow forecast until about next weekend.
Cheers,
Leo