Christmas Bells

Christmas Bells
Christmas Bells - Blandfordia nobilis

Sunday, December 18, 2011

More photos from Cloud Farm

While still recovering, at Cloud Farm I witnessed yet another stunning sunrise effect
of early morning light on the flanks of Knights Hill.
Taken at 5:51 AM on Saturday morning.
Sunrise lighting the Illawarra Escarpment below Knights Hill
I went and checked the progress of the nestlings
of the Superb Fairy Wrens.
At least 3 nestlings all bunched up
with wing feathers developing. 
Superb Fairy Wren nestlings - in nest.

While I was out and about, taking photographs, an Australian Land Leech 
presumably Gnatbobdellida libbata))
managed to attach itself to me.
As usual, I was not aware it was attached until it dropped off.
I heard it hit the floor - with a thump.
I was sufficiently impressed with its size that I took several images, before I released it.
Leech - bloated after feeding on my wrist. Felt-tip pen cap for scale
Presumably it felt that I had needed some "medicinal bleeding" to aid in my recovery.
I actually don't agree, but it was only "doing what comes naturally", 
so I could hardly hold a grudge against it, could I?
Leech making its escape, over bricks