Christmas Bells

Christmas Bells
Christmas Bells - Blandfordia nobilis

Thursday, March 08, 2012

Death of Sherlock Holmes - the sequel - after the fight

This morning, the Canberra Ornithologists Group's resident graphic artist Geoffrey Dabb circulated an image, which I found eerily familiar.
Death of Sherlock Holmes
(Sidney Paget illustration)
His image, well, actually an illustration by Sidney Paget, was entitled "The Death of Sherlock Holmes".
It purports to show Moriarty and Holmes locked in mortal combat on a ledge over Reichenbach Falls, in Switzerland.

But the illustration came in to me this morning, just after I had returned from Carrington Falls, having photographed the Falls after our recent deluge.

The intense rush of water, the cliff ledge, 
even the ferns around the Falls all looked familiar to me.
No Holmes, no Moriarty
Carrington Falls, not Reichenbach Falls.

The coincidence was too eerie for me to pass up the chance to Blog about it.

4 comments:

Flabmeister said...

Bearing in mind other discussions within the COG environment about Lake George linked to inter alia Lake Taupo are you suggesting that the Carrington Falls are linked to Switzerland? If so, I must alert some friends in Cran (just outside Geneva)that there may be a more eco-friendly way of getting to Canberra than using Swissair!

Martin

Denis Wilson said...

Hi Martin.
.
What can I say?
In an attempt to preserve the last vestiges of scientific credibility of "The Nature of Robertson", I had refrained from delving into the fantasies in which certain COG members have indulged in recent discussions.
.
The supposed links between Lake George and other famous Lakes, such as Lake Taupo, or even the mysterious Blue Lake in Mt Gambier were too fabulous for me to indulge in.

I am surprised that there were no references to "The Paihute Indians of the southwest USA (who) claim that a Greek or Egyptian-like race first colonized the massive caverns within the Panamint Mts, thousands of years ago, when Death Valley was part of an inland sea connected to the Pacific Ocean. ...
The story of the Panamints was related by a Navaho Indian by the name of Oga-Make, who in turn heard it from an old Paihute medicine man."
.
The reference to the literary words of Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle was as close as I could bring myself to falling into that Maelstrom.
.
Thank you for your contribution. :-)
.
Cheers
Denis

buddy2blogger said...

Great article.. The similarity is quite striking and is a very interesting fact for the Sherlockian inside me!

Thanks for sharing :)

Denis Wilson said...

Hi Buddy2Blogger
Welcome.
And I see there is a great deal Sherlockian within you.
You are well equipped to appreciated my little story.
Denis