Christmas Bells

Christmas Bells
Christmas Bells - Blandfordia nobilis

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Autumn Flowering Orchids in Shoalhaven

A range of autumn flowering Orchids starting up in the Shoalhaven region. Alan Stephenson and I did a tour of the most likely sites, and found a few nice Orchids, plus some Boronia nana plants which is a species I have not seen for a few years.

Best find was Diplodium longipetalum - a "first" for me.
*** My memory was faulty, but my system of "Labels" showed me that I had recorded this species two years ago, at Douglas Park.  The dates coincide perfectly.


 

Diplodium longipetalum
click on that link to see a good
line drawing of the shape of this flower,
especially the long down-curved labellum.


Prettiest flower was of course, Petalochilus pictus.
Petalochilus pictus
A harbinger of spring, even though it is
a genuine autumn/winter flowerer
It reminds me of the other "Pretties" to come.
For a look at the other species we saw along the way, check my Facebook Album of Autumn Flowering Orchids in the Shoalhaven.
You do not have to be a member fo Facebook to see these photos.



No comments: