Christmas Bells

Christmas Bells
Christmas Bells - Blandfordia nobilis

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Springtime activity of the "Birdies"

I have recently posted about signs of Spring, in the plants. But yesterday and today, even though cold in temperature, have seen excitement amongst the small birds in my yard.

Superb Fairy-wrens have been dancing at my windows. At first I saw a female at my bedroom window. I suspected she gathering cobwebs as nesting material. But during the day, I heard and saw a male in eclipse plumage approaching another window, where there were no obvious spider webs, and I concluded he was doing that most masculine of things - chasing away an imaginary rival (his own reflection).
Here he was looking at me, from the Dogwood tree just a few feet away. Whenever i looked away (or put down the camera) he would dart in and fly up against his own reflection.

Eclipse plumage of male
Superb Fairy-wren.


Brown Thornbill
These little birds are wonderful at hiding
behind a leaf or flower of the Sassafras tree.

Lewin's Honeyeater
This bird is a permanent resident
and it loves to get nectar from my plants
even Camellias, but especially the known nectar producers

The elusive Eastern Spinebill
This little bird moves very quickly.
and so is quite hard to photograph.
This was taken through my study window.

another view of the Eastern Spinebill
showing how long the beak is.
These little green and grey lumps on the ground
are Red-browed Finches
They come in family groups, feeding together.
If scared by something (anything)
they all fly off together.
These little birds are popular cage-birds
and they have many names,
Red-heads, Red Rumps, Firetails, etc.
I prefer to see them flying free, like these guys.




No comments: