Christmas Bells

Christmas Bells
Christmas Bells - Blandfordia nobilis

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Foggy Day in Robbo

These photos were taken at 12:15 PM (lunchtime, or after breakfast, if you keep the same hours as I do).

They were taken at the bottom end of the Old Road, Robertson, where it links back to the Illawarra Highway. This is about 500 metres from the Pie Shop. 

This is about 60 metres from the Illawarra Highway.
The sign ahead (on left) is close to the corner.
I could hear cars and trucks driving past,
on the highway,
but I could not see them through the fog.
Taken at the corner, looking back to my parked car.
The head lights are on, but barely visible.
The car is about 60 metres away.
Looking down the Illawarra Highway.
There is a  car with lights on approaching.
My concern is that to drive back into the village,
I had to be sure there was no traffic coming
either way.
Best way to do that was to open left and right windows,
and listen closely for any road sounds.

This shot shows a car and trailer having passed me.
  
Another car passed me,
closely followed by a second car (clearly visible)

In hazardous driving conditions like this, my advice is 
SLOW DOWN
DRIVE WITH HEADLIGHTS ON (OF COURSE)
SLOW DOWN SOME MORE
AND
IF APPROACHING AN INTERSECTION
LISTEN FOR CAR NOISES, AS WELL AS WATCHING OUT.
As described above,
wind down left and right door windows
and listen for road noises,
before deciding to enter fast-moving traffic.
This works surprisingly well on wet roads.


50 metres visibility, or 60 or even 70 is just not enough to be completely safe.
The road safety people say the three second rule should apply.
In difficult conditions, I would extend that interval (gap between cars).


No comments: