Christmas Bells

Christmas Bells
Christmas Bells - Blandfordia nobilis

Saturday, June 28, 2014

Camellia williamsii hybrid Jamie



I bought my plant from Camellia Grove Nursery when they were in Mona Vale, or on Mona Vale Road, somewhere in northern Sydney. I fear the continuity of that fine nursery has been lost.

However, I still an happily growing this beautiful hybrid.
It was a chance seedling, raised by Professor E.G. Waterhouse, at his garden in Gordon. He named it after a grandson, I believe, from memory of what I was told on one of the Open Days at "Eryldene".

Here is a link to one from a New Zealand Nursery

Unusually for one of the many "williamsii hybrids" bred by Prof. Waterhouse, it is a brilliant scarlet red colour. Most of the other Waterhouse X williamsii hybrids are "fuchsine pink"


No comments: